Role of the Partnership
Healthy rivers and Reef contributing to a prosperous region where people live, work, and play.
The Mackay-Whitsunday Healthy Rivers to Reef Partnership will operate on the following principles:
- Rigorous science – All science products produced will be reviewed using robust independent science.
- Openness and honesty – Report card results and supporting data will be made publicly available.
- Community education – The report card will contribute to ensuring the Mackay-Whitsunday community understand the health of their catchments, rivers and reef, and how management actions could bring improvements.
- Communication – Information on the progress of the Partnership and the management responses of partners will be regularly communicated to the community.
- Continuous improvement – The report card will be designed based on the best available information, but will evolve over time to incorporate contemporary approaches to report cards and new sources or types of information (such as social and economic indicators).
The members are committed to delivering the following objectives to establish the Mackay-Whitsunday Healthy Rivers to Reef Partnership:
- Communicate information effectively and at a relevant scale to the broader community on waterway health issues with scientific integrity, independence and transparency.
- Be specific to the Mackay-Whitsunday region and consistent with other regional waterway report cards including the Wet Tropics, Townsville, Gladstone and Fitzroy.
- Provide effective, coordinated, strategic and transparent investment to ensure cost effective development of an annual report card.
- Consolidate and integrate outputs from ambient and event monitoring programs as well as from different modelling platforms.
- Provide scientific information that may assist in improving or maintaining the environmental, social and economic values of our Region.
- Inform planning and delivery activities of the Partners in response to the findings of the report card.
- Utilise the stewardship assessments in the report cards to promote Partners’ activities, while drawing on the findings of the report card to identify enhanced or additional management actions.
- Communicate our understanding of catchment-wide cumulative impacts.
- Build upon, complement, and enhance existing efforts of members.
- Foster a culture of collaboration between Partners for the benefit of our Region’s waterways and communities.
- Develop community education initiatives.
- Act as advocates for priority regional outcomes in line with the Partnership’s stated objectives.